Sunday, August 30, 2009

Do you know..........

Do you know how hard it is to put a camera under water? We bought this small (really crappy) underwater camera to take with us so that I can get photos of turtles, sharks, pirhanas - ok, joking about the pirhanas, I think! I did not realize that the camera was so cruddy. When you press the button you have to wait about 2 seconds before the pic takes! Aaaarrrrrghhhh. Anyway - underwater photos I will have - good or bad.

So I put it in its watertight case and decide to test it out. Now is a good time. If it works, it will go along with us, if not - well, we can do with the space. We have 44 gallon drums outside on the corners of the house to catch the rainwater which we then use to water my guava trees, lime trees and other fruits and veggies... And it was to these drums that I headed with this really crappy camera firmly cocooned in its clear waterproof container.

So I stood there, looked at the water, looked at the camera. And stood there. My hand kinda went towards the water but there seemed to be a short between what my brain was telling my hand to do and what my hand actually wanted to do. After a few minutes I actually started laughing at myself. Fortunately Frank was at the back of the house and did not see me acting stupid. Well, it is not natural to put a camera in water! Not for me, not yet anyway.

Finally I took a photo of my guava plant, saw how badly it came out and thrust that camera DEEP into the water with absolutely no hesitation at all! I found that I was not breathing. I took a few photos that came out really badly but I am putting that down to the fact that the water is not clear at all and ....... well, any excuse will do. This camera might well become a Permanent Resident of Ecuador!

So now I have taken my first underwater photos. I hope I improve. Fast!

23 days left!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now sis...... if you go to W..lf Camera, I am sure that they will sell you a GOOOOOD underwater camera - such a shame to go ALL the way to the Galapagos and take fuzzy underwater pics. Ag sies! Lekker to taunt you - but also deadly serious. Love ya

GalapaBaggs said...

Ja ja, ek weet! But not this time - gotta have reason to go back sometime...... love ya too, sis. :)